12.14.2008

Young at Heart (Nutcracker and Snow)

My boyfriend and I attended the Oregon Ballet Theater's production of the Nutcracker last night. This is the first time that either of us has seen the Nutcracker, and I don't believe that there are words to describe our response. Basically, it was beautiful and magical. I can't believe that I have waited this long in my life to see it. This is definitely going to be a yearly event.

I had all sorts of things to write about the ballet before I woke up this morning and saw the snow outside the window. The sight of snow has distracted me from the ballet, and I now have that giddy feeling of wanting to run outside and make snow angels. Snow brings out the kid in me, although it usually doesn't take much for that to happen because it is always just below the surface. Looking out the window this morning, I hopped up and down in excitement. I raced to get dressed and ran outside for a quick walk to church.

Walking in the snow makes me think of Victorian England. I expect to see overly dressed women and men in top hats strolling down the street. I also love how quiet and still everything seems during and just after a nice snow. I am sure that when I am 80 years old I will still wake up, see snow, and run outside trying to catch the flakes on my tongue.

IT'S SNOWING! IT'S SNOWING! IT'S SNOWING! All of a sudden I am remembering the big snows out in Western Kansas when I was a kid. We used to build snow block fort walls for snowball throwing, and one time we even made a snow block igloo.

Today we walked in the snow to breakfast at Clinton Corner, bicycled on snow packed and icy roads to the Fat Straw for bubble tea (3 miles round trip with no accidents). After that we had hot cocoa while sitting in the hot tub on the deck, and tonight I am making homemade tortilla soup and we are watching a movie. This has been a fantastic snow day.