11.20.2008

Libraries

I biked over to my neighborhood library today and it was packed full of people. They were not there just to sit on the computers, but they were also browsing the shelves and sitting on any available chair or ledge and reading. Yes, they were actually reading. From what I understand, Portland is definitely a reading type of city. I ended up biking home in the rain, but I had a smile on my face because I had Changing Tides by Michael Thomas Ford, http://www.curledup.com/chantide.htm , stashed in a waterproof bag. I know what I'm doing tonight as my boyfriend plays Fallout 3, http://fallout.bethsoft.com/eng/home/home.php?fbid=y44A019Gpxt.

On a recent exersion downtown, I explored the central library, http://www.multcolib.org/agcy/cen.html . The sheer beauty of this building is inspiring. It was so full of architecture and marble that several parts of it reminded me of the Oklahoma State Capitol. I wish I could say more, but I think you have to see it to believe that a library could be this beautiful. It also has an eco- roof, a room just for writers, and a whole wing dedicated to arts and music which features several rows of sheet music. The best thing of all is that it was very, very, very busy. Once again, people were sitting wherever they could and even on the floors in order to read books. The checkout desks had non-stop traffic.

All of this activity around the library really made me stop to reflect on what a service a library does for the community. It gives everyone, regardless of socio-economic level or culture, equal access to knowledge; education; and entertainment. Another interesting point is that all types of people use the library regardless of socio-economic level or culture. It is also a living example of recycling.

I'm back home now in the upstairs office looking out over the rooftops at the cloudy, dark sky. I feel warm and cozy up here with my mug of apple cider. Maybe I'll grab a blanket from the bed and start reading my library book.