3.28.2009

Thoughts on a Rainy Day

Today is one of those typical Portland days where it is raining, raining, and raining. Did I mention it is raining? I braved the rain long enough to go to the farmer's market and hit a couple of garage sales, but now I am holed up in the living room beside my boyfriend on the couch. We are both snuggled in with blankets and pillows. I think it is going to be a night of sipping Bailey's and watching Gilmore Girls.

Because of the rain here in Portland, I have been thinking about that old nursery rhyme, "It's raining, it's pouring."

It's Raining, it's pouring
The old man is snoring
He went to bed and he bumped his head
And couldn't get up in the morning.


I decided to do a little research about it and I found the following information:
  • www.rhymes.org says that the origins of the rhyme are unknown, but it is believed to be English.
  • Wikipedia says, "It was written about the meteorologist John Dalton.[verification needed] On July 27th 1844, after suffering several previous strokes, he made his last meteorological observation (presumably that it was raining) and during the night fell from his bed where he was found dead in the morning."
I do wonder about the the real origin of the rhyme. I was always taught that it ended with the following phrase:

Rain, rain, go away
Come back another day.

Just a random thought on a rainy day. Now, let's put in the Gilmore Girl's DVD and fill the glasses with Bailey's.