9.24.2008

People Watching

I have to admit, when it comes to people watching there seems to be an over abundance of characters in Portland. I mean this in a good way. One thing I've noticed is all of the tattoos. I have nothing against tattoos and have even considered getting one, but I have never figured out what tattoo I would want to look at for the rest of my life. I did one time put a deposit down on a pink snagglepus that would go just above my ankle. I had the one picked out where he is wearing a black top hat and carrying a cane. As I thought about it, I wondered a couple of things. First of all, is it too gay?????? Second of all, do I really want to be in an old folks home someday sporting a big pink pussy cat on my ankle? Needless to say, I did not go through with it.

I digress. Back to people watching. It seems like everything is so laid back here. People wear a lot of vintage fashion from 30 or 40 years ago. The other day I saw a woman in line at the supermarket wearing a coat that looked good, but all I could think was that somewhere an old lady is mourning the coat sized hole in her shag carpet.

One of my favorite things I love about Portland is the unexpected. Most of the time human behavior is fairly predictable, but sometimes little things happen that are so unexpected but pleasant. I was driving downtown the other day and looking out the window at the stoplight. I was watching this older heavy set woman walk down the other side of the street. She caught my eye and gave me a big smile and flitted across the road in the crosswalk. The smile was so unexpected and so genuine. I smiled back of course.

On the bus tonight I saw a huge variety of people in just the 15 people occupying the seats. I could go into each one in detail, but that would take too much time.

I love to study people and their mannerisms and expressions. So often people say so much about what they are thinking or feeling without even opening their mouths. Eyes are another good thing to watch. Eyes often tell the story behind the superficial exterior.

I saw a bumper sticker today that read, "Keep Portland Weird." I agree, and I think that sums up the people watching experience in Portland.

Good Night!